Friday, December 31, 2010

Fitness Goals for 2011

As 2010 winds down, I figured it'd be appropriate to comment on a few of my own personal goals for 2011. Before I do this, I want to take just a minute to do two things:

1. A few thoughts about goals/new years resolutions: I have mixed feelings about the specialized concept of new years resolutions per se. The new year is indeed a great time to bring you back into focus and act as a catalyst to help you set goals, and make sure that you're working towards things that are important. Having any goal, with a deadline or set time frame, is a great way to keep you on track. Especially with today's world, it is far too easy to get caught up in the daily grind... go through the motions without stopping to ask or remind yourself why you do what you do, what the point of it all is, and etc. So I get the idea of using the new year as a jumping off point.

With that said, I feel like the idea that you can only change in January is a bit of a setup for failure. You can change anytime you want to... anytime you choose. When I ultimately lost 212 pounds, I started in June. Is it a failure because I waited 6 months, or didn't wait another 6 months to start? I look at it as 6 months I saved myself of not feeling miserable. So many people seem to go all gung ho for the first 2-3 weeks of January, fall off the bandwagon, and say screw it. And voila... you've failed. It is important to keep in mind that an important part of ANY journey is having flat tires along the way. You repair and move on, you don't move backwards or quit just because of momentary setbacks. Whoever beat The Oregon Trail without having someone contract dysentery or cholera? Life is not perfect... things get in the way. Don't lose sight of your goals. Make sure that you allow yourself to not be perfect, to not be all or nothing, and you will do fine. I consider 2007 one of the most successful years of my life, despite the fact that I waited until June to start my journey.

2. Reflections on 2010: Before I talk about 2011, I really want to take a second and reflect on a few accomplishments of 2010. I feel like it's important for each of you to do the same. For me, without a doubt two things, professionally speaking, stick out as that which I am most proud of. First and foremost, I discovered my passion in life... or that which I truly intend my career to be. I have never gotten as much fulfillment out of anything as I do with my group fitness career. I love teaching, and have some other opportunities on the horizon for 2011. It is my hope to keep myself dedicated to this industry, and help others change the way it has helped me. Second, along those same lines, I trained and successfully became a certified BodyAttack instructor. It was the most challenging weekend I've ever had physically, but I've never had a more rewarding experience. I've since built my back library, grown by teaching with some amazing fellow instructors, and realized a huge path my life is going to take in the future. I feel honored and proud to be among this group, and I'm excited for further developments.

With all that build up, here are some goals of mine for 2011. I am going to be very specific, and bold. If I don't accomplish everything, it is OK. But I want to declare these things and put them out there. "Anything the mind can conceive, it can achieve." -Napoleon Hill

1. BodyAttack Trainer - I have to admit I never even considered this. I was in deep thought about what my future was going to hold, and it came into my head clear as day... Become an Attack Trainer. I love Attack, I love helping others, and I want to share this passion and grow. I want to interact with others like me... who live and breathe it. This seems like a natural progression. Of course, this is a HUGE goal which will require a lot of hard work and dedication. For one thing, I'm going to have to pass BodyAttack AIM 1 & 2, which means working hard to perfect all technique, build some huge upper body strength, build leg endurance... the list goes on and on. But it's all worth it. I couldn't be more excited for the challenges ahead... and that's one sign of making it happen.

2. Upper body pushups - Towards the last quarter of 2010, I gradually progressed myself to be able to do almost all chest pushups using the higher knee option. In 2011, I would like to progress to my toes. In addition, my tricep pushups need some work. My form does not seem to be correct and I cannot do any of them on anything but the lowest option. Definitely some room for improvement here.

3. Tuck Jumps - 2010 was the year of conquering plyos. Next up is tuck jumps. These moves kick my butt extensively. Goal is to be able to teach at least a couple different track 9s and do all of them high.

4. Track Scripting and Objectives - I'd like to be able to script 1 or 2 tracks, and work on my different cue styles. I also need to be better at reading through my choreography notes for track objectives and things that need to be said.

5. Class Connection - Finally, I want to work on connecting with my class more. Use names, get more people excited about my class, talk with them more, get more feedback, and just be better at connecting with my members.

This is definitely an exciting year for goals. What are some of your goals???

No comments:

Post a Comment